Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology

 Reading Notes: 

Metamorphosis: Pygmalion

This was an interesting story, I was surprised that it ended up good. There was a twist where Pygmalion made Venus, also known as aphrodite in Greek mythology, happy and was fond of the man so she granted his wish. This is not where I was expecting the story to go. From my memory, the gods are very jealous so I believed that he would be punished and turned into a statue but this changed the meaning of if you make people happy they will be more willing to help you so instead of being punished and turned into stone he has gifted his perfect creation who he married and then had a child who the island was named after. While really enjoying the story I was a little confused at the beginning and it took a little bit of time for me to get my bearings of what was happening. I believe that "the daughters living in wickedness" was the reason that he was a bachelor and had never been with a woman but I am still not sure or if he was a bachelor because of the ivory sculpture that he had masterfully created. 


Fairy Tale: Beauty and the Basilisk

This Story was similar to beauty and the beast but much more abridged. The basilisk in this story didn't make the most sense to me. It seems like he used his power to get what he wants but I didn't really ever get his motivation throughout reading this. It seems like he was more a device to move the plot along but not much else but that seems to really have a point we go from one plot point to the other without much rhyme or reason and so in the end the daughter sounds like she gets what she deserves but I didn't like her characterization. I liked the big ideas but there was just something missing for me. 


Bibliography: 

Fairy Tale: Beauty and the Basilisk: The Key of Gold by Josef Baudis (1922) 

Metamorphosis: Pygmalion: Ovid's Metamorphoses, translated by Tony Kline (2000)


( Basilisk by Friedrich Johann Justin Bertuch (1747-1822))

Comments

Popular Posts