Feedback thoughts

 Silence the critical voices in your head

I have had a problem through my life being too hard on myself and judging everything that I did and it has actually caused me to turn in work that is less complete because I can't get out of my head long enough to do what I want to do. I liked the part where it talked about that we need five positive voices for every on negative but that isn't necessarily true but instead we need to listen to the positive. It is so often that someone says something nice and kind about my work but as soon as I hear criticism of any kind I need to both deals with it immediately while I'm also scared of it so it turns into a vicious cycle that ends with me frustrated at myself. I need to listen to the feedback all of it. There is going to be positive in it and I need to give myself time to revel in the positive. If I only focus on the negative I will never get out of my head and I will continue to be the one holding myself back. 


Rewire your self-critical brain 

I like that this article talked about how to deal with setbacks and how if we recontextualize setbacks we can actually end up helping ourselves out. There will be plenty of times that I may not understand an assignment in this class or another and I will lose points or not get credit but I can't think of this as the end of the world or that the assignment that I did will be the thing that defines me or my achievement as a student. Instead, I should take time to acknowledge that it is a setback to think about what I was told and how I can use the feedback to not only prevent the mistake in the future but also reevaluate what I did to get back on track as quickly as possible. 


Educational Postcard: 'Student Work and Teacher Feedback'


"Educational Postcard: 'Student Work and Teacher Feedback'" by Ken Whytock is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0

Comments

Popular Posts