Reading Notes English Fairy Tales, Reading B

 Mr. Miacca

This story was a hoot and a half. I really enjoyed reading it I liked the idea that there was a man who was like it is fine if you are a cannibal we won't stop you but we have one condition you can only eat bad kids. And this man and his wife were like okay that seems reasonable to me. This one of the stories that I have read that has the most dialogue in it and so I could potentially use this as a source for my story. Mr. Minca seemed to be a big man that if he ran onto a child on his street that means the child was being a bad child so I would guess that all of the children's parents tell them that they can not go onto that street or else they will be dinner for the Mr. Miacca guy and his wife. It also seems like he is not the brightest fellow because he couldn't wait for the water to boil and let a child fool him not once but twice. Not only did he get fooled but it was with a leg from the couch and my man was like yep that looks like the leg of a little boy. Now I do get this is a fairytale to convince children to behave well which now that I think about it is definitely a form of emotional manipulation that could seriously scare a child instead of giving them the reason that their actions were wrong and have it be a learning opportunity to grow from. Instead, they have to fear for their death if they misbehave. I think that this was a decent story with a little to learn but this one was definitely not my favorite one to read. 


Bibliography

English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1890).

Comments

Popular Posts