Reading Notes: Welsh Fairy Tales, Reading B

The Fairy Reward 

This was a pretty good story. I liked that the man just was kind to the faires and asked no questions. It really seemed like he saw that they were in need and so he offered his house to the faires with no questions asked. I think it was because of this kindness that the fairies treated him and they just wanted to stay a secret. I like that he was able to sustain life just off of the hospitality that he was able to show to the fairies.  The fairies also seemed to be really grateful. I however was not the biggest fan of the man having to keep it a secret from his wife. I just am not the biggest fan of that way of thinking that there should be secrets. I am aware that it is a personal choice but when I retell this story I would like the wife to be a part of helping the fairies and maybe she can do something that the man can't do that the fairies like more and maybe they give them more money so that there is no way that they will ever struggle again and the lesson can be that in marriage truth and honesty is the best policy and it will make for a stronger union. I just now realized or maybe re-realized that the people who write and tell the stories have a strong ability to choose what is right and wrong and can lead thoughts of those who read. I think that is part of the power of writing and speaking. I think that maybe a reason that the world is going through such a crazy time and that the discourse can be less divisive and more inclusive but I am sure that is just some wishful thinking. 

Fairies with Children


Bibliography:

 The Welsh Fairy Book by W. Jenkyn Thomas with illustrations by Willy Pogány (1908).

 


Comments

Popular Posts